Jamie Berke got one whiff too many of secondhand smoke while on the Washington, D.C., Metro system.
So she decided to act. She has launched a petition to protect Metro bus and train passengers from the toxins.
Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer and heart disease, and aggravates respiratory illnesses. The U.S. Surgeon General has determined that there is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke.
A recent study showed that people in outdoor bars and restaurants can suffer the same harm from secondhand smoke as those exposed to it inside.
The petition says:
We call on WMATA to actively enforce its existing policy by: 1) Installing “No Smoking” signs at all station entrances, escalators, passageways, and outdoor train and bus platforms throughout the Metro system; 2) removing all ashtrays from the system or at least moving them farther away from entrances and exits; and 3) installing “No Smoking within 25 feet” signs at all station exits and bus shelters. WMATA should also work together with local and state jurisdictions to strengthen and enforce policies to protect Metro riders from dangerous secondhand smoke within 25 feet of Metro facilities.